DIAGEO ARMS CONSUMERS WITH COMPREHENSIVE NUTRITIONAL AND ALCOHOL INFORMATION ABOUT ITS BRANDS – DRINKiQ.com
With the launch of its newly revised DRINKiQ.com early this year, Diageo is advancing its commitment to give consumers greater transparency and help them to make more informed choices about alcohol as part of a balanced lifestyle. To this end, the company has significantly enhanced the nutrition, calorie and alcohol content information available about all of its brands. This includes a breakdown of calories, carbohydrates and protein as well as, for the first time, detailing saturated fat, sugar, caffeine and sodium content. This valuable new information is now available on its responsible drinking website DRINKiQ.com.
DRINKiQ.com includes useful new tools such as a simple to use ‘Drinks Calculator’, to help people calculate and track their alcohol and calorie intake. It also provides responsible drinking tips and advice on how food, age, size and gender affects how the body processes alcohol, alongside the enhanced ‘What’s In Your Drink’ tool.
As Diageo outlines, as people become more and more interested in their diet and lifestyle choices, we need to play our part. We know that consumers want nutritional information about what they drink – just as they do with the foods they eat; they also want a clear and easy way to know how much alcohol they are drinking. We believe passionately in helping people to understand what’s in their drink and to make informed choices about drinking or not drinking. Alcohol is alcohol. There is no drink of moderation – only a practice of moderation.
Key features of the new site include:
- An enhanced What’s In Your Drink section which details comprehensive nutritional, and alcohol content per serve information for all of Diageo’s brands, alongside ingredient information. This includes a breakdown of calories, carbohydrates and protein as well as, for the first time, detailing saturated fat, sugar, caffeine and sodium content.
- A new, simple to use, Drinks Calculator to help consumers easily calculate and track the amount of alcohol they are drinking per serving and how many calories they have consumed for a range of common drinks, instead of expecting them to do the maths.
- Tips on responsible drinking – including the chance to explore how food, age, size and gender affects how the body processes alcohol.
The site also includes the truth behind common myths around alcohol consumption – such as:
- “Spirits contain more alcohol than beer and wine”. In fact 25ml of distilled spirits (e.g. Smirnoff, Tanqueray) contains 8g alcohol, versus 16g in a pint of lager. Spirits also have fewer calories than wine or beer – 25ml of distilled spirits has approximately 55 calories compared to 125 calories in an average 175ml glass of wine or around 160 calories for a pint of lager.
- “Eating food means I can drink more”. In fact eating food only slows down how quickly alcohol is absorbed – it does not prevent it from having an effect on the body.
- “Drinking coffee sobers people up faster.” Coffee might make people feel more awake, but the alcohol still remains in the body and takes about one hour per drink to process.
Barbara J. Moore, PhD, President and Chief Executive Officer of Shape Up America! said:
Anyone looking to watch their weight will find the reinvigorated DRINKiQ site helpful for tracking calories and other important facts about alcohol. We applaud Diageo for its commitment to greater transparency and for providing consumers with essential nutrient, calorie and alcohol information about their drinks. The new site is engaging as well as helpful to people seeking to make informed choices for a balanced lifestyle.
The new DRINKiQ.com is mobile-friendly and easy to use so that consumers can quickly access information about what’s in their favourite cocktail on their phone whenever they want.
The site is available in 24 countries and 12 languages, and has been designed to ensure content is tailored to the environment and regulation in the consumer’s location, particularly legal purchase age.
Diageo is a global leader in beverage alcohol with an outstanding collection of brands including Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, JεB, Buchanan’s and Windsor whiskies, Smirnoff, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Don Julio, Tanqueray and Guinness.
Diageo is listed on both the London Stock Exchange (DGE) and the New York Stock Exchange (DEO) and our products are sold in more than 180 countries around the world. For more information about Diageo, our people, our brands, and performance, visit us at www.diageo.com. Visit Diageo’s global responsible drinking resource, www.DRINKiQ.com, for information, initiatives, and ways to share best practice.
Republished courtesy of Diageo